Hayana Govt. Launched Pension Scheme for Widowers of the State

Haryana Pension Scheme

On Monday, Haryana State Government said that it was considering giving monthly cash handouts to men who lose their wives, a first for a country that traditionally only provides such payments to women.

Haryana Chief minister Manohar Lal Khattar said that the plan was to roll out the changes next year once laws had been amended.

CM Khattar informed the state assembly that the government is seriously considering granting a pension to widowers in line with the pensions provided to widows

Read More: हिंदी में पढ़ें 

Haryana government provides a monthly pension of Rs1,600 to the state’s 650,000 widows every month. But men who lose their wives receive no such payout, prompting calls for the scheme to be revised.

Local politician Ravinder Macchrouli argued that like widows, husbands also suffer when they lose their loved ones and were entitled to the payments. There are no figures on the number of widowers in the state of 27 million people.

A widower who wrote to Macchrouli had complained that the scheme was unconstitutional as it discriminated on the basis of gender.

Most states in India pay monthly cash payments to widows from poorer backgrounds due to concerns that some widows, especially in rural areas, may be abandoned by their families who consider them a financial burden.

Leave a comment

* - Required fields

Disclaimer & Notice: For your kind information, this website is not an official website for any kind of government scheme and there is not any relation with any Govt. body. Please do not treat this website as the official website and do not leave your personal information on this website such as Aadhaar Number, Contact Details, Address and any other personal information in the comment box. It is very difficult for us to reply to every comment/query and we do not address any complaints regarding any government scheme. All the visitors are requested to visit the official website of the scheme and you can contact the concerned department/authority for any complaint related to the scheme published on the website.