Merit Cum Means Scholarship Scheme – Yesterday (18-07-2017), the Delhi government launched a scholarship scheme named Merit Cum Means Scholarship Scheme in the national capital. The main motto of this scheme is to provide benefits to the poor students and the students whose family’s annual income is less than 6 lakh.
Details of Merit Cum Means Scholarship Scheme
The Deputy Chief Minister of Delhi Mr. Manish Sisodia announced this scheme in New Delhi. During the announcement of the scheme, Sisodiya said that the scholarship scheme would work as a fee waiver scheme for the needy students who are pursuing higher studies in any of the state universities.
List of Universities –
- Universities of Delhi
- GGS Indraprastha University,
- Delhi Technological University,
- Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology,
- Ambedkar University,
- Indira Gandhi Delhi Technological University for Women
- Delhi Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research University (DPSRU).
- Besides this, this scheme would also be extended to the Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology (NSIT) as and when the institution becomes a state university.
Eligibility Criteria according to the Deputy CM Mr. Manish Sisodiya –
- All the students having at least 60 per cent marks in the class he/she has passed will be eligible for the scheme.
- The scheme is applicable to all students in any of the undergraduate courses.
Here are the 3 Slabs of the Merit Cum Means Scholarship Scheme –
- 100% fee waiver for category of students coming from a BPL family
- 50% fee waiver for students from families with income upto Rs 2.5 lakh per annum
- 25% fee waiver for students from families with income above Rs 2.5 lakh and not exceeding Rs 6 lakh per annum
- An additional 5% waiver in the fee would be given to the SC/ST Students.
According to him, it is expected that about 20-25,000 students from poor and moderate means of income will be benefited from the scheme. The scheme has been framed under the framework of The Delhi Higher Education Aid Trust.
Besides this, the AAP government had allocated a budget of Rs 10 crore for the academic year 2017-18 for this scheme.
News Source: http://www.hindustantimes.com/education/delhi-government-launches-merit-cum-means-scholarship-scheme/story-Gs4WtjOt2mys7fkN1bPTvI.html